Thursday, October 06, 2005

Commuting Redux: What a Difference a Day Makes

Commuting Redux: What a Difference a Day Makes

Well, a day and almost an hour, anyway.

You see, unlike yesterday, my AM commute today to WashU was pretty fast. And it was on almost exactly the same route. It's funny how this happens.

Today, I didn't get out of the house until about 8:40 - almost 1 hour later than yesterday. As a result, much of the downtown-bound traffic had cleared.

So, I got the 8:50 run of the #10 Gravois, then just made the 9:01 westbound MetroLink at (Kiel) Civic Center. 14th Street had some traffic, but nothing like 25 hours before.

It was about 9:12 when I alighted from the train at Forest Park station, giving me a few minutes to get up the steps and through the alley to Pershing. Then, I waited for either the 9:17 Gold Line or the 9:19 #93 Lindell. Just like yesterday, the Lindell came first - on time, maybe even one minute early; the shuttle came up several minutes later. So, I took the Lindell, and hopped off at Skinker and Lindell about 9:25. I reached my initial destination this morning - Olin Library - around 9:35.

So even though I left almost an hour later than yesterday, I got to school only about a 1/2 hour later than yesterday. Bizarre.

What are the possible routes I could take from home to WashU?

1) #10 Gravois + MetroLink + #58 Clayton-Ballas
2) #10 Gravois + MetroLink + #93 Lindell
3) #10 Gravois + MetroLink + Gold Line WashU Shuttle
4) #10x South Grand Express + MetroLink + #58 Clayton-Ballas
5) #10x South Grand Express + MetroLink + #93 Lindell
6) #10x South Grand Express + MetroLink + Gold Line WashU Shuttle
7) #11x Shrewsbury Express + MetroLink + #58 Clayton-Ballas
8) #11x Shrewsbury Express + MetroLink + #93 Lindell
9) #11x Shrewsbury Express + MetroLink + Gold Line WashU Shuttle
10) #30 Soulard + #16 City Limits
11) #70 Grand + MetroLink + #58 Clayton-Ballas
12) #70 Grand + MetroLink + #93 Lindell
13) #70 Grand + MetroLink + Gold Line WashU Shuttle
14) #11 Chippewa + MetroLink + #58 Clayton-Ballas
15) #11 Chippewa + MetroLink + #93 Lindell
16) #11 Chippewa + MetroLink + Gold Line WashU Shuttle
17) #52 Clayton-South County + MetroLink + #58 Clayton-Ballas
18) #52 Clayton-South County + MetroLink + #93 Lindell
19) #52 Clayton-South County + MetroLink + Gold Line WashU Shuttle
20) #52 Clayton-South County + City Limits (way too long of a ride though)

It's nice to have choices! So, maybe I should utilize more of them, more often.

No comments: