Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Highway Hazards

Highway Hazards

UPDATE 11:55 AM: Post-Dispatch has more details. Driver, a 28-year-old woman from Highland IL killed apparently while sitting in line to exit at Vandeventer/Kingshighway. I know this is a common back-up point, and that it can really be scary when 18-wheelers whiz by going southwest. Quite tragic.

We've got a real traffic accident clusterfuck this morning, caused perhaps by drivers going too fast for the slightly snowy conditions.

On my way to work on Gravois, I noticed traffic backed up on both northbound I-55 and southbound I-55 in the approach ramps to westbound I-44.

Channel 5 reports two tractor-trailers and a car collided on WB 44 near Vandeventer. Channel 2 is reporting the driver of the car was killed, but nobody else is saying that online, yet.

Checking Gateway Guide, we see that WB I-44 on-ramps at Grand and Jefferson are closed, and traffic is (somehow) being diverted to Jefferson.

Compounding matters further, Gateway Guide is now also reporting an injury accident on SB I-55 at Park Ave. - no doubt partially related to the traffic back-up from the accident several miles west.

Reported 10:10 AM:
" SB I-55 AT PARK AV INJURY ACCIDENT THE THREE LEFT LANES ARE BLOCKED. THERE IS A SHORT BACKUP." and "NB I-55 AT PARK AVE, THE TWO LEFT LANES ARE CLOSED DUE TO A SB ACCIDENT. TRAFFIC BACKS UP NEAR I-44."

All I can say is - be careful out there! And, if you're driving you should probably take Arsenal or some other alternative route for right now instead of I-44.

2 comments:

Umar Lee said...

Did you hear anything about a woman at Compton and Market who was found in her car? I saw here unconscious at the light for several minutes but didn’t know if she was dead, drunk, shot or what.

Urban Review - St. Louis said...

I was Eastbound I-44 after this accident and saw the Westbound lanes closed -- a weird sight to see such a massive road closed.

I don't know the case here but I see many people waiting until the last minute to exit the highway. A few weeks ago I was exiting on Hampton from I-44 and it was backed up to the point we were lined up along the shoulder. Drivers not paying attention were coming to near stops in the in the right lane of the highway and at one point a tractor-trailer had to lock its brakes to avoid colliding with a car. This car should have gone to the next exit rather than risk a collision.